A couple of weeks ago I announced I was going to do a life reboot and took a bit of time off from the blog. The reboot was necessitated by the sense of overwhelm I couldn’t dodge in my life – coming at me from multiple directions. I’ll talk more about what the reboot entailed, but today I wanted to let you know what I have decided to do with the blog.
Don’t worry, it’s not going away. I write this blog as a way to document my experiences with productivity, and it is valuable to me as a record of things I have tried, used, and either implemented or rejected. My memory is so abysmal at times that without the reference I would find myself investigating tools and methodologies I had already tested.
Anyway, I am rambling…
As part of the reboot I looked at all the areas of my life, including the blog. I wrote down what was working, and what needed to be improved on. Then I decided on what the overarching theme would be for each area. In the case of the blog, I decided I liked the rhythm and processed I had developed, but I feel I need to do a better job of generating income and connecting with my readers. I also need to get a positive Return On Investment (ROI) for my time.
Right now to free up time for other things (like my life) I have decided to hold off on any further new product launches for this quarter. I’ll review that in the 3rd quarter.
So my goals for the blog boiled down to two things: 1) provide value to my readers; and 2) get a positive ROI on my time.
The first one is what will really make a difference to you as a reader. So what will that look like?
- Friday Reading Roundups are going away. I will still push interesting articles out to Twitter, but I don’t see from my numbers that people are really reading the Friday articles, and therefore it is not providing much overall value.
- Wednesday Desk articles will go away. I had started these as a more informal way to document my experiences, but again, I don’t think they are providing value to the reader. I don’t think that a weekly article on my thoughts is really that interesting to anyone but me. And I have been sliding this particular article towards more practical techniques in any matter.
- Blog articles will now come on Tuesdays and Thursdays. These articles will be how-to, practical advice, concise articles like you are used to getting on Mondays. Double the useful content!
- Publication times will shift. I have for years sent my articles out at 5 a.m. No one, including myself, is on the blog at that time. So I am shifting the article publication time to 8:30. Those of you that get the articles via email will see that at about 9:00 a.m., after the initial morning rush of email is over.
- Monday inspiration. I have really enjoyed making shareable quotes that were sent out with the Wednesday desk articles. I decided to do these twice a month (for now) on Mondays.
- Patron article will come out on Fridays. I have typically sent out patron-only articles on Thursdays. I am pushing this to Fridays.
As far as social media, you can expect to see me out there more, and sharing more of what I am reading out there as well. Personally, I have little use for Facebook, but I know that I am in the minority in this opinion, so I will try and get out there more. I will also be experimenting with Facebook and Twitter video.