Who am I?
That’s me. I’m the one on the left. The human one*.
My name is LJ Earnest and I have a thing about productivity.
I’ve been on a long and twisty journey throughout my life to find the way to do things in the most effective and efficient manner. Because basically I’m lazy and I don’t want to work more than I have to.
I have been blogging about productivity for a really long time (over 10 years, which makes me a great-great-grandma in the blogosphere). The blog journey started with a fascination with PDA apps. Then I realized that all the trendy systems were just too complicated…people spent more time crafting how they worked to fit a system than the other way around…and SimpleProductivityBlog.com was born. But in the summer of 2015 I realized that the blog didn’t fit my skin any more.
What it boils down to is that the productivity systems born in the early- to mid-2000’s never foresaw how the lines between life and work would blur thanks to technology. And those systems never adapted either. They are antiquated, keeping things in very separate compartments, when the membranes have become porous.
Whole Life Productivity is about helping you navigate this new way of working and living.
What Whole Life Productivity Will Do For You
Whole Life Productivity will help you negotiate the lines. Our employers (or we ourselves) expect us to continue working after the work day is over, but get really cranky if personal life interferes with work time. This blog will help you manage both in a more balanced fashion.
Whole Life Productivity will help you find better ways. Better ways to manage your schedule, your tasks, your projects, your home, your commute, your organization, your time management.
Whole Life Productivity will look at the new techniques as they come out and find out what makes them tick. New systems have to be coming. I have to believe that. As they do, I will figure out how they work so that you can take the parts that work for you and discard the rest. No more having to work to a system.
Whole Life Productivity will help you craft your system. If Getting Things Done or Seven Habits or Flylady doesn’t work for you, it is not your fault. We will find a way to make a system that works for you by examining the whys and wherefores.
Whole Life Productivity will help you balance life and work. There are techniques that can help make those fluid boundaries that let work into personal life. We will look at them and explore them so you can use them.
Whole Life Productivity will help you cross-pollinate your skills. You have certain skills that you use at work, at home, at volunteer commitments. Those skills are useful in the other areas of your life. We will look at how to find those skills and put them to use.
More Random Facts About Me
- LJ Earnest is a pseudonym. My “real” name is shared by a famous actress. ‘Nuff said. (No. I’m not her. I’m not related to her. Nor am I related to the football player who shares my real last name.)
- I am female. Wouldn’t think I would have to point that out, given the photos, but I was once accused of being a male chauvinist pig by a reader. Just want to make it clear.
- My real given name is Laura. That is what I answer to in real life. Except I’ve been blogging for so long under “LJ” I can’t seem to go back.
- I work outside the home. After a 20+ year career in information technology and software engineering, I earned my teaching license. I spent a year teaching high school math, and then returned to work in software consulting.
- I lead a very busy life. In addition to the blogging and the working, I am also a Girl Scout leader, active in my area’s Girl Scout management, and a volunteer at my church. I am also the mother of a non-driving teenager and the caretaker of four furbeasts (one canine, two feline and one extremely grumpy feline).
- I don’t have a staff. As much as I would like to have an army of minions, wishing hasn’t made it happen. I attend to everything around the blog myself. I do my own cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, gardening and laundry. (Well, not so much on the laundry. My husband is ex-Navy and requires everything folded just so. I can’t be bothered. So he does the majority of the laundry.) I am a normal person with normal concerns.
- I am originally from the frozen tundra. That’s Northern Wisconsin to all you people who have never been there in the winter and felt the liquid in your nose freeze your nostrils together. Actually, it was pretty darn cold when I was there at the end of June. I moved south of the snow line to get away from the weather. I live in a coastal city now, but I do not live “at the beach”.
- I love coffee and chocolate. And really good cheese.
* My daughter decided her enormous panda needed to be in on the photo shoot, and so he has become a staple of one of my blog photos.